Sunday, October 18, 2009

While it Rains.

Too many showers of rain! I had great plans of things to do in the garden today but even taking these few photos I got very wet. So I know when to come back inside. 
The siberian Irises are beginning to flower - One of your favourites Soozii.
Flag Iris with Honesty to match.
A miniature lemon Rhododendron called Patty Bee.
A really bright Gerbra.
I made cheese scones this morning and they turned out really badly. I can make beaut pikelets and muffins but my scones are only average but today not even that good. Anyone got a really good recipe? ( was it not enough kneeding ;was the oven too cool to start...gosh I don't know )
**************************

This turned out well though. My pasta with broad beans. Now I have put the pasta recipe up before way back in Jan 2007, but will repeat it as it is quick. Actually any pasta sauce  ( a tomato bassed one )would work for this; that's what I love about it; add what you like / have.

While you are cooking the pasta of your choice ( large shells perhaps ) for about 8 minutes, microwave 2 rashers of bacon between paper towels. Cook your Broad beans lightly. Also any other veges like broccoli or carrots.
Make the dressing/ sauce by combining a quarter of a cup of squeezed lemon juice with the same amount of olive or avocado oil. Add 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar. Stir.
When your pasta is cooked, drain it and stir in 2 tablespoons of rich firm pesto. The heat from the pasta will melt it onto the pasta. Pour over your liquid sauce. Arrange in your bowls along with your other vegetabes . Chop the crisp bacon on top and garnish with parsley if you like it. Enjoy. If you are a vegetarian just leave out he bacon.

On the quilting fron I am just cutting/ sorting my scraps into size bags while I mull over my next 2 projects.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the pictures of the flowers.

Laurie said...

My grandma's Scones,
Basic requirements
225g SR Flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
50g butter
150ml fresh milk

Rub butter into flour with salt
add milk, mix in with a knife.
Do Not Touch the mixture more than you have to with your hands from now on..
Tip on to a board work dough very gently with the hand into a pancake 1cm thick do not roll with a rolling pin, cut out scones with a cookie cutter. brush with milk
Place on greased tray 230 degrees for 7 - 10 minutes
Good luck....

loulee said...

I was going to offer pretty much the same recipe as Laurie! I agree with her, don't handle the mixture too much.

Joyce said...

I make those often although SR flour is not common here so I add baking powder. Two things I learned are, don't handle the dough more than you have to and be sure the oven is very hot when you put them in. Here it's 450 degrees.

Ali Honey said...

Laurie, Loulee and Joyce, Thank you all for the recipe and advice.

I will report back when I have tried again.
I suspect I used too much butter and also the oven wasn't hot enough.

Laurie if you add cheese, do you cut back on the butter?

Maybe I'm just out of practise .

carole brungar said...

Hi Ali, I too, never kneed the dough. I always use the Edmonds cookbook receipe, but I have an old copy of the book, not a new one. If I make cheese scones, I don't put any butter in!
Have fun, and lets hope for a fine weekend!
Carole :)

Bubble said...

Yummy pasta Alison i will try it for my brood. xxxxxx

Meggie said...

Your flowers are so beautiful. I have none really, at present.
I love pasta, with or without bacon/meat.